December Notes from the Principal….
Greetings! 2019 is rapidly coming to an end. December is always a busy and fun month here at Oakland. Here are some important notes:
- If you know of interested families, spread the word. It’s not too late to make the switch! We are still accepting new students for this current school year. Re-enrollment for 2020-2021 will occur in late January.
- Math Night will be taking place on 12/5 from 4:30-6pm. This fun, free event will feature games and activities in every classroom. We hope you can join us!
- Winter weather is rapidly approaching and with it are a few reminders:
- School closings – we will generally, but not always, close if either Kalamazoo Public or Portage Public closes. This is because we have a large percent of families that reside and travel from these districts. There are however occasions when Portage or Kalamazoo may close, yet we choose to stay open. So be aware that Oakland Academy will also post its own closing announcement. Closings are announced on WOODTV 8 and WWMT 3. We also announce closings on our Facebook page, so if you haven’t already, search for and “like” our page. This is the quickest way to be notified of schedule changes.
- Winter weather gear – please send all the essential winter weather gear to school with your child; boots and inside shoes, hat, snow pants, gloves, etc. We have outdoor recess unless the temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees. Make sure your child is prepared! Additionally if your child is well enough to be at school, we expect they are well enough for outdoor recess. If they need to stay in, a Dr’s note is required.
- PTO- The PTO will once again be hosting a holiday store for the students the week of 12/16. Look for more detailed information to come home soon. Also, the next PTO meeting is on 12/12 at 6pm in the lower el building, library.
- School Board Meeting – the next meeting is scheduled for 12/19 at noon. The meeting will be held in the staff room of the upper el building.
As always, if you need to reach me or have questions or concerns please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at school 324-8951.
Mrs. Shawn Boris
Principal, Oakland Academy