Arbor Academy is hosting a Winter Dance on Friday, December 1st at Lakeview Middle School Cafeteria. This is a family friendly event from 5-7pm. Please come join us for some winter fun. We want to see you all on the dance floor. For this event we would like students to be accompanied with an adult.
Please pay attention to our Winter Break dates. Our winter break is a little different than many of the local schools. We do not have school starting on Friday, December 22nd through Friday, January 5th. We will have a non-uniform day on Thursday, December 22nd. Students can wear holiday attire. School will resume on Monday, January 8th.
Toys for Tots
We are collecting new unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots through the Marine Corps Reserves here in Battle Creek. We would love to fill up our box located in the upper elementary building. Toys are due by Friday, December 8th. Thank you for your support!
The holidays are coming and we wanted to make you aware of resources in our community that can provide holiday support:
- Franklin Neighborhood Food Pantry is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 1-3pm. Documents required: Picture ID, proof of residence, social security numbers of all family members and/or Medicaid cards. 269-963-5567
- First Wesleyan Church provides a food pantry. Serves Calhoun County. Documents required: Picture ID, Social Security cards and Referral from Volunteer Center 211 is required. Pantry hours: Referrals are faxed over as they are filled out. Food is pick up is Thursday: 9:00am-11:00am. 269-962-6644
- Battle Creek First Church of the Nazarene provides a food pantry. Serves Emmett and Newton Township. Documents required: Picture ID, social security cards for all members of the family and proof of income. Pantry hours: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month: 9:30-11am. 269-979-4565
- Salvation Army is taking sign-ups for Christmas baskets of food as well as Toys for Tots. To sign up, please provide photo identification, Social Security Card, birth certificate for each child under the age of 16 and proof of income. You can call them at 269-963-3640 for Calhoun County or go to Salvation Army at 400 Capital Ave. Or for Kalamazoo County at 269-344-6119 for Kalamazoo County or go to Salvation Army at 1700 S. Burdick Street.
In October we started be nice. with a school-wide assembly. be nice. is a program that was created by the Mental Health Foundation of West Michigan. Its goal is to promote a positive school environment and encourage good mental health by teaching students to notice, invite, challenge, and empower. While it is a proactive bullying prevention initiative, it goes far beyond that, seeking to educate students on the impact their words and actions have on the way others think, act, and feel.
Please visit their website-www.benice.org-and learn more about the action plan and take the pledge.
Winter Weather Reminders
Winter weather is rapidly approaching and with it are a few reminders:
- School closings – we will generally, but not always, close if Lakeview School District closes. We will NOT be closed if Lakeview closes due to no heat or water. Arbor Academy has it’s own posting and is not affiliated with Lakeview. Closings eventually will be announced on WOODTV 8, WWMT 3, and on local radio stations. We also announce closings on our Facebook page, so if you haven’t already, search for and “like” our page.
- Winter weather gear – please send all the essential winter weather gear to school with your child; boots and inside shoes, hat, snow pants, gloves, etc. We have outdoor recess unless the temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees. Make sure your child is prepared! Additionally if your child is well enough to be at school, we expect they are well enough for outdoor recess. If they need to stay in a Dr’s note is required.
Important dates to remember:
December 1st-Winter Dance from 5-7pm
December 21st-Non-uniform day(Come to school in your holiday gear!)
December 22-January 5th-No School-Winter Break
January 15th-No School in remembrance of MLK
January 19th-Last day of the 2nd marking period
Warm Holiday Cheer
This is such a great time of year! This is the season of sharing and giving. We hope you enjoy your time with your children and families over the holidays. Happy Holidays and we will see you next year!
Mrs. Brandy Resman-Principal