Arbor Academy is hosting a Winter Dance on Friday, December 2nd at Lakeview Middle School Cafeteria. This is a family friendly event from 5-7pm. Please come join us for some winter fun. We want to see you all on the dance floor. For this event we would like students to be accompanied with an adult.
Please pay attention to our Winter Break dates. Our winter break is a little different than many of the local schools. We do not have school starting on Friday, December 23rd through Friday, January 6th. School will resume on Monday, January 9th.
The holidays are coming and we wanted to make you aware of resources in our community that can provide holiday support:
- Franklin Neighborhood Food Pantry is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 1-3pm. Documents required: Picture ID, proof of residence, social security numbers of all family members and/or Medicaid cards. 269-963-5567
- First Wesleyan Church provides a food pantry. Serves Calhoun County. Documents required: Picture ID, Social Security cards and Referral from Volunteer Center 211 is required. Pantry hours: Referrals are faxed over as they are filled out. Food is pick up is Thursday: 9:00am-11:00am. 269-962-6644
- Battle Creek First Church of the Nazarene provides a food pantry. Serves Emmett and Newton Township. Documents required: Picture ID, social security cards for all members of the family and proof of income. Pantry hours: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month: 9:30-11am. 269-979-4565
- Kalamazoo Loaves and Fishes is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. You need to call first in order to receive assistance. 269-343-3663.
- Valley Family Church (2500 Vincent Avenue, Portage) has a food distribution each Friday from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. 269-324-5599. You do not need to bring any kind of paperwork in order to receive groceries. In addition, the Valley Family Church is offering a holiday meal distribution to interested families on Friday, December 16th. If you want to receive a Christmas dinner during distribution, you can do at FridayGroceries (December 16th) from 10am-noon located at 2500 Vincent Ave., at the cathedral building. No sign up is required, it’s a first come, first serve basis.
- Salvation Army is taking sign-ups for Christmas baskets of food as well as Toys for Tots. To sign up, please provide photo identification, Social Security Card, birth certificate for each child under the age of 16 and proof of income. You can call them at 269-963-3640 for Calhoun County or go to Salvation Army at 400 Capital Ave. Or for Kalamazoo County at 269-344-6119 for Kalamazoo County or go to Salvation Army at 1700 S. Burdick Street.
We will be sending a letter home soon outlining how we are going to provide two families in our school community with a special holiday meal. We will be collecting food and gift card donations. This is a project we started 15 years ago and found to be very rewarding and successful. The drive will take place over the next few weeks. We will make our deliveries to the families the week before holiday break. Please help us show our students that the holiday season is a time of giving and not just receiving.
Our first group of Bully Busters have started patrolling the playgrounds at recess. The Bully Buster program has cut down on many playground problems. Thank you for your service Bully Busters!!! New Bully Busters are patrolling the playground looking to remediate conflict.
Winter Weather Reminders
Winter weather is rapidly approaching and with it are a few reminders:
- School closings – we will generally, but not always, close if Lakeview School District closes. We will NOT be closed if Lakeview closes due to no heat or water. Arbor Academy has it’s own posting and is not affiliated with Lakeview. Closings eventually will be announced on WOODTV 8, WWMT 3, and on local radio stations. We also announce closings on our Facebook page, so if you haven’t already, search for and “like” our page.
- Winter weather gear – please send all the essential winter weather gear to school with your child; boots and inside shoes, hat, snow pants, gloves, etc. We have outdoor recess unless the temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees. Make sure your child is prepared! Additionally if your child is well enough to be at school, we expect they are well enough for outdoor recess. If they need to stay in a Dr’s note is required.
Important dates to remember:
December 2nd – Winter Dance from 5-7pm
December 22nd – Non-uniform day(Come to school in your holiday gear!)
December 23 – January 6th-No School-Winter Break
January 16th – No School in remembrance of MLK
January 20th – Last day of the 2nd marking period
Warm Holiday Cheer
This is such a great time of year! This is the season of sharing and giving. We hope you enjoy your time with your children and families over the holidays. Happy Holidays and we will see you next year!
Principal, Arbor Academy