Important Dates to Remember
January 9th ~ School Resumes
January 16th – No School in remembrance of MLK
January 16th-February 3rd – NWEA Winter Testing Window
January 20th – last day of the 2nd marking period
January 23rd – First day of 3rd marking period
January 30th – Report Cards Sent Home
Arbor News-We are offering two new after school activities for our students to be more involved. We have the Newspaper Club which meets on Wednesdays after school and soon we are offering an Aerobics Club. If you need more information, please contact the office.
Winter Weather Reminders-Winter weather is officially here and with it are a few reminders:
- School closings – we will generally, but not always, close if Lakeview School District closes. We will NOT be closed if Lakeview closes due to no heat or water. Arbor Academy has it’s own posting and is not affiliated with Lakeview. Closings eventually will be announced on WOODTV 8, WWMT 3, and on local radio stations. We also announce closings on our Facebook page, so if you haven’t already, search for and “like” our page.
- Winter weather gear – please send all the essential winter weather gear to school with your child; boots and inside shoes, hat, snow pants, gloves, etc. We have outdoor recess unless the temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees. Make sure your child is prepared! Additionally if your child is well enough to be at school, we expect they are well enough for outdoor recess. If they need to stay in a Dr’s note is required.
Attendance- School attendance is so important for your child’s academic and social progress. Michigan State Law requires children between ages 6 and 18 to be in regular attendance at school. Additionally, the Michigan legislature has passed a law stating that unexcused or excessive absences could directly affect the government assistance a family receives.
Late arrival and early dismissal-Students can start entering the building starting at 8:00 am. If a student is dropped off before that time, they will need to wait outside until 8:00 am. Parents are always welcome between 7:30 am and 8:00 am and between 3:30 pm and 4:00 pm to meet with a teacher.
School officially starts at 8:20 a.m. After 8:20 a.m. students being absent from their classroom are considered tardy. School officially ends at 3:30 p.m. If a student is leaving the Academy before 3:00 pm, they shall be marked absent for a half a day. If your child needs to leave school before 3:15, we ask that you stop in the office to sign them out.
NWEA MAP Testing –Starting the week of January 16th-February 10th, we will be taking the NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Association) Measures of Academic Progress assessment. We will be taking the full version the Math and Reading test. Please refer to your child progress reports or classroom newsletter to know specific dates and times. It is important that your child has proper nutrition and sleep for the testing week.
In order to achieve the best possible testing conditions, I would appreciate your help at home in the following ways:
- Make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast before school and has a well balanced lunch.
- Pack a healthy snack. Items that are considered healthy are fruit, vegetables, cheese and crackers, pretzels, bottled water and juice boxes.
- It is important for your child to get enough rest.
- Encourage your child to do his/her personal best. Your child might be nervous about taking the test. All we ask is that they do their personal best and not worry about the rest.
- Students come into school in a happy relaxed manner with a smile on their face.
- Give your child a hug everyday!
Tis the season for sickness – This time of year, unfortunately, is when we start to see illnesses creep up and spread around school. Please know that we actively send students home that are sick, and will notify you if someone in your child’s class was diagnosed with a contagious illness/condition. We, as always, teach the students the importance of good hand washing, and also encourage the use of sanitizer. You can help by keeping sick kids home. We will work hard to keep the kids healthy here at school.
As always I am available for your concerns and questions via email, email@example.com, or by phone here at school.
Happy Winter and Stay Warm!
Principal, Arbor Academy