Please make sure you are studying spelling words at home each week!
Below are some creative ways to do so:
- Rainbow Words: Write your words in 3 different colors.
- Fancy Fingers: Use your fanciest writing to write your words with curly, dotty, or other fancy letters!
- Spelling Cheer: Pretend you are a cheerleader and cheer out your words to an adult at home.
- computer fun: Use your computer to type your words. Use different fonts and make it look really fun!
- 3x Each: Write each of your words 3 times each.
- Silly Sentences: Use all of your words to make silly sentences.
- Musical Words: Sing your spelling words to the tune of your favorite song.
- Other Handed: If you are right handed, write your words with your left hand. If you are left handed, write them with your right!
- Air Words: Use your finger to write each word in the air.
- Sweet & Salty: Put some sugar or salt on a plate. Use your finger to write your words in the sugar or salt.
- Practice Test: Have an adult quiz you on your spelling words.
We will continue to go outside every day as long as the wind chill is above 10 degrees. PLEASE send your child to school with appropriate outdoor clothing!! Our students love to play in the snow, and no one likes to get wet or cold.
Valentine’s Day Party
We will be celebrating Valentine’s Day in our classroom on Wednesday, February 14th. Please look over the attached note for details.
100th Day Party
Wow, I can’t believe we are so close to the 100th day of school!! We will be celebrating in a variety of ways, as well as teaming up with first and second grade to do some community service projects . Please see the attached note for details.
Education for the Arts–“Air Play” at Miller Auditorium
We participate in the amazing program, Education for the Arts, through Kalamazoo RESA. We are provided with a dance/creative movement teachers for multiple weeks starting in February. We are also given the opportunity to attend various performances. Earlier in the year we attended Gershwin’s Magic Key. This time we will be enjoying Acrobuffs presentation of “Air Play” at Miller Auditorium on Wednesday, February 21st at 10:00 A.M. Please see the attached permission slip for more details.
Award Winners for December/January
We are proud to announce that Zaedyn is our character award winner for being generous. She is always willing to share with her peers. The writing award went to Justice for his hard work on writing assignments and spelling. The math award went to Laurel for her hard work with 2D and 3D shapes. Next month we will be learning about the character trait of being TRUSTWORTHY!!!
Please encourage your child to read at home for BOOK IT! If your child reaches the goal he/she will receive a coupon for a free Personal Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut.
Scholastic Book Order
When you buy books from Scholastic our class earns bonus points that I can use to buy additional books for the classroom. You are also able to order online, which gives our class even more points. Please make checks payable to Scholastic Book Clubs.